It wasn't easy leaving the comfort of my mom and dad's house again . . . at all. We managed to get through the day (Saturday) though with no problems . . . flight-wise anyways.
We landed at about 8:45pm and got home somewhere around 9:00 . . . the house was in pretty good shape, considering it was not occupied since September. Well . . . it wasn't occupied by humans anyways. haha The cats didn't tear anything up and only knocked a couple of things over. Nothing was breakable so everything was fine.
I found a bag of potatoes . . . or what USED to be potatoes . . . under the kitchen sink. Luckily they weren't too bad . . . if they'd have been in a plastic bag, I think it would have been a lot worse. There were also dishes left in the dishwasher but thankfully they were clean.
I went out to move Mike's car into our parking spot on the street and it wouldn't start. Wouldn't turn over at all. So, I steered (not easy when the car is dead) while Aimee pushed the car and we got it parked.
Then I went to move the Chevy out of the garage . . . and it wouldn't start either. No power whatsoever and the key was locked in the ignition. *UGH*
So, we tried to figure out what was going on then finally just gave up for the night. I was able to get the key out of the ignition but couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with it. I finally gave up Googling stuff and went to bed about 2am.
Mike called from the ship bright and early (for me anyways . . . it was 3:30 in the afternoon for him! haha). He told me he had gotten my e-mail about the car and to "call Laura".
Laura is the wife of Mike's friend Travis . . . and the command ombudsman who volunteered to be the liason between the commanding officer and the families of the people in the squadron. As the ombudsman, she helps out any family in need as best she can . . . and we just happened to be the next family in need.
We all laid back down for a while after I got off the phone with Mike and Laura ended up calling me about 10am. She offered to borrow and bring over her next door neighbor's battery charger. So, she brought it over and hooked it up and I let it sit for about 6 hours.
I went and tried to start the car after that 6 hours and . . . nothing.
Laura ended up calling shortly after and said "So here's what we're gonna do. I am going to come and pick you up and you are going to drive my Honda until you get your car fixed." and come over she did. We loaded into her Honda in her driveway and headed to Wal-Mart for a few groceries and drove through McDonald's for something to eat.
We got home and fed Evan then Mike called and said that he was thinking of calling his friend George to see if he could come help.
George called about 15 minutes later and said "Hey, I was just throwing my coat on and wanted to let you know I was on my way over there to help you with the car."
He showed up about 10 minutes later and looked under the hood . . . moved the battery charger's contacts to another place on the battery area and I went to open the drivers side door . . . and THE LIGHTS CAME ON!!!!!
I turned the key and it started right up! George took it for a short drive around the block and said it ran just fine . . . we turned it off and restarted it 4 times and it was just fine!
Weird.
So, today (Monday) we have the property manager's annual inspection of the house . . . the smoke detector guy is coming by to inspect the smoke detectors and replace the batteries . . . I have to go re-enroll Emilie in school . . . then have to go to the commissary and get the rest of the groceries that I chose NOT to get at Wal-Mart.
Holy STRESS, Batman!
1 comment:
I am glad you made it home and I'm glad you could figure out what happened with the car. Hooray for knowing people that know what they are doing. :)
I miss you.
Post a Comment